--->Sunday Essay #1: Party Like a Writer! Party Like a Writer?
I've been a lazy son of a bitch.
Since November I've updated my Teaching English in Bundang FAQ and I haven't updated much else. With this blog I've been jogging. In place. And that kills me.
It's been more than five months since oh my God Alex we get it you spent time in Korea you think that makes you Magellan because you ate some fucking kimchi? Get over it. Move on. Live life. Live now.
You can chalk up the inactivity on this thing to unearned self-importance: I like the beginning-and-end conceit of my Korea writings. I find comfort in the finished nature of them: one year, fifty-five travelogues, and done. Over. Box them up and put a bow on them. I can't count how many projects I've started and never completed, germs of ideas that leapt onto the page only to die later from unruly ambition or plain immaturity. In Korea I had a plan and stuck to it: a new essay every week (almost).
What will I write about now? I'm not quite sure, but I do hope you'll check in on Sundays, when I intend to have something new cooked up each week. At times I might write about Korea, but I won't let those stories reek of stale bulgogi. I'm no longer an on-the-ground foreigner, so I won't have the same point of view.
In the fall, I start an MFA program in creative nonfiction. I'm excited, and I'm a little bit scared. I'll be investing two or three years... in ink.
Columns June 2007-October 2007
Letters, Rants, and Experiments June 2007-October 2007
- Breaking Up With Facebook for a Week, Part I
- Breaking Up With Facebook for a Week, Part 2
- Breaking Up With Facebook for a Week, Part 3
- Corporations Kill People. Michael Clayton Kills Me.
- Dear Producers of "So You Think You Can Dance,"
- How MacBook Broke My Heart
- If I Were a Middle-Aged Woman Looking for Romance...
- Thank You, Esquire, for the Dumbest Thing I've Ever Seen in an American Magazine. Ever.
Personal Essay/Memoir June 2007-October 2007
- Are you Hot or Not?: The Price of a Free Date
- Don't Forget to Give Me Back My Black T-Shirt!
- Drunk Driving and Waffle House Lesbians: A True Story
- How Nancy Drew Saved My Summer
- Ninja Turtles Don't Wear Denim: My Shopping Disease
- Small Talks and Rent-A-Cops
- Small Talks and Rent-A-Cops, Part 2
- Snowball, Part 1
- Snowball, Part 2
- T.G.I.F., 1993
- The First Real Kiss
- The Sammy Mystery
- When A Neighbor's Dog Craps in Your Yard...
- You Kill Me, or Do You Really?: A Dispatch from Death's Door
Short Fiction June 2007-October 2007
Writing on Writing June 2007-October 2007
Columns Archive: October 2005-June 2007
- Emory's The Hub October 2005 "Love Online? LOL"
- Emory's The Hub December 2005 "Dead Ends"
- Emory's The Hub March 2006 "Guessing Game"
- Emory's The Hub May 2006 "The Thrill is Gone, Baby"
- Emory's The Hub October 2006 "Spreading Love Too Thin"
- Emory's The Hub December 2006 "Three's Company"
- Emory's The Hub May 2007 "Graduating to Unemployment"
- American Jewish Life May-June 2007 "Shalom, Snoop"